Captain’s day fun
My Captain’s Day was a great success with a superb tea provided by Sylvia, Marian, Jane and Anita, writes Ron Cook.
The first bowling session was three rinks of Triples with the Captain’s side winning 43-29 Derek Limpus, Tony Holland and skip Bill Turner giving a strong performance 22-8 to win the top rink prize.
In the second session, Captain’s side were again the winners by 57-37 with John Davies, Ken Day, Ray Tallent and Mike Daw having the best result 19-9.
On Wednesday, four mixed rinks played at Mid Devon in Tiverton with one win and a draw. Mid Devon winning two rinks for an overall score of 63-53 in their favour. Top rink for Sidmouth were Lorna Lever, Paddy Wrench and skip Ron Cook 19-9
In club competitions, all semi finals were completed and the schedule for the finals will take place over two days.
You may also want to watch:
Monday, April 11 will commence at 10.15am. The Ladies Pairs will see Jan - Jameson Bates and Paddy Wrench play Paddy Chew and Sheila Graham. Mixed pairs will be contested by Zena Johnson and Lawrence Tobias against Chris Hamer and Mike Smith. The Turner Cup will be Jill Bishop v Bob Seldon.
The second session will start at 2:15 pm with the Joan Jeffrey’s Trophy which is a fours match between Jean Brimson, Rita Daw, Zena Johnson, Evelyn Clements and Anne Smith, Daphne Jamieson, Paddy Wrench, Eileen Hewett. In the evening the new Nominated Triples KO final will be contested by the Whisperers and the Jays.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
On Wednesday, April 13, the men’s pairs will be played by Ray Tallent and Lawrence Tobias against Phil Harris and Peter Wilson and the men’s singles between John Mason and Bob Seldon.
All matches should be close contest and members are encouraged to attend and support their respective favourite.
On Saturday, the final Sunrise League match took place with a total of 34 members joining the two sessions. As before, a lunch was served with cottage pie and Champagne on the menu, Thanks to our provider and sponsor, Churchill Fresh Food, for their excellent quality meat.
The overall champion was Phil Harris. Top Lady, only two points behind was Zena Johnson. Top rink prize in the morning went to Ray Tallent, John Farmer, Jenny Fricker and Phil Harris with a score of 31-6.
Following lunch and several beverages, the afternoon session was a somewhat noisy affair with Faye Williams, Zena Johnson and skip Brian Smith taking top rink honours 23-12
My thanks to all those who have made these sessions extremely enjoyable and for their help.