Catch a local match on the first Saturday of 2018
- Credit: Archant
In terms of local Macron Devon and Exeter League action on the first Saturday of the new year, the top billing goes to the Sidmouth Town Reserves’ Manstone Lane meeting with Cullompton Rangers Reserves.
Town Reserves go into the contest sitting eighth in the table having played just one third of their Macron Division One games.
Rangers have played 11 games and sit sixth, four points better off than Town. The match will be a first for Town in four weeks – they were last in action on December 9 when beaten 3-0 at University.
Since losing their first two home games – the second being a September 9, single goal reversal at the hands of Lyme Regis – Town have won all five of their Manstone Lane outings.
Newton Poppleford are also in home action; they stage a Division Two match against Axmouth United.
You may also want to watch:
The Popples, who had lost 13 straight games before a December 9, first win of the season (a 4-1 victory at Dawlish), followed that up with a win seven days later and so will go into their first game of 2018 looking to secure a third successive victory.
Ottery St Mary have a Bill Slee Cup tie at their Washbrook Meadow home when they entertain North Tawton. It’s an early kick-off for the Otters with the action starting at 1.30pm.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Tipton St John have a Division Three game to negotiate. They go into the home meeting with Clyst Valley (2.15pm) looking to bag a third successive home win.
Beer Reserves are in Fortfield action when they host Winkleigh in a Division Four fixture and there’s Division Six action at Byes Lane, Sidford, where Sidmouth Town thirds play Queens Head.
Last, but certainly not least, there’s Macron League Division Eight action for Otterton Reserves who host Sandford Reserves.