Catherine sails to victory and lands the Rattenbury Shield
THE final race of the season was sailed last Monday for the Jack Rattenbury Shield. It is a memorial trophy for the famous (or infamous) Beer smuggler of the 1700s.
Nine luggers launched from the beach in ideal sailing conditions. There was a moderate north west wind blowing over a calm sea and sunshine.
It was a good start to the race except for Cuckoo who crossed the line too early and had to return and recross.
The Percy Mitchell left the line sailing westward to the windward mark and all the rest sailed in an easterly direction.
The first lugger to reach the mark was the Mary, followed by Cuckoo in second place.
You may also want to watch:
As the fleet came through to the windward mark, there were four luggers arriving at the same time, creating confusion. In the middle of the disorder the Moondance’s sail fell down, which caused more problems.
Eventually it was sorted out and all went merrily on their way.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
The Mary completed the first round of the race ahead of Cuckoo and the Percy Mitchell in third place.
As the race progressed there was always a tight challenge between the Mary and Cuckoo for first place. Meanwhile, in the middle of the fleet, there was another contest between four luggers with the positions changing all the time. The Puffin seemed to have the best of this situation.
Coming up to the finishing line on the last tack, with the wind still holding, the Cuckoo just managed to pull ahead of the Mary and crossed the mark first with seconds to spare. The Percy Mitchell was in third place.
Race result: 1, Cuckoo sailed by G Dart; 2, Mary sailed by D Boalch; 3, Percy Michell sailed by K Gosling; 4, Twilight sailed by M Bagwell; 5, Puffin sailed by R Driver; 6, Catherine sailed by M Diplock; 7, Scrumpy sailed by G Lockyer; 8, Little Wing sailed by D Townsend. Moondance retired.
Winner of The Rattenbury Shield by handicap: Catherine.