Newton Poppleford-based, Colaton Raleigh Football Club have gained promotion from Division Four, writes Ken Woodsford.
Results last weekend, now mean that Raleigh are certain to finish in the top three, and a win at home to Tedburn St Mary this Saturday (Back Lane,Newton Poppleford 3pm) will clinch runners up position behind champions Bickleigh.
Player/manager Riki Pitter, and his assistant Cliff Cooper are justifiably delighted with the achievements of their team, in what has proved to be a tough division.
Pitter said, “I am very proud of all of the players. Every one of them has made a big contribution, and proved a match winner at some point during the year.
Having gained promotion last season, we made a slow start to our league programme whilst the lads were finding their feet at this higher level. An unbeaten run of 15 games since January, however, has confirmed the quality, and self belief, we have in the squad.
You may also want to watch:
To be promoted again for the second season running is just brilliant”.
The Colaton Raleigh players will all be celebrating their success in the Cannon Inn, Newton Poppleford from 5pm on Saturday and all their supporters are invited to join them.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
The club would also like to say a big thank you to their sponsors, Hazelwood Gardening Servces, and The Cannon Inn, Newton Poppleford.