Newton Poppleford-based, Colaton Raleigh Football Club have gained promotion from Division Four, writes Ken Woodsford.
Results last weekend, now mean that Raleigh are certain to finish in the top three, and a win at home to Tedburn St Mary this Saturday (Back Lane,Newton Poppleford 3pm) will clinch runners up position behind champions Bickleigh.
Player/manager Riki Pitter, and his assistant Cliff Cooper are justifiably delighted with the achievements of their team, in what has proved to be a tough division.
Pitter said, “I am very proud of all of the players. Every one of them has made a big contribution, and proved a match winner at some point during the year.
Having gained promotion last season, we made a slow start to our league programme whilst the lads were finding their feet at this higher level. An unbeaten run of 15 games since January, however, has confirmed the quality, and self belief, we have in the squad.
You may also want to watch:
To be promoted again for the second season running is just brilliant”.
The Colaton Raleigh players will all be celebrating their success in the Cannon Inn, Newton Poppleford from 5pm on Saturday and all their supporters are invited to join them.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
The club would also like to say a big thank you to their sponsors, Hazelwood Gardening Servces, and The Cannon Inn, Newton Poppleford.