Chan bulldozes his way through to put seal on superb Sidmouth Under-15 win over Honiton.

Sidmouth U15 rugby action versus Honiton

Sidmouth U15 rugby action versus Honiton - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth 40, Honiton 5 Sidmouth Under-15s powered to a derby success at home to Honiton, writes Steve Searle

Sidmouth U15 rugby action versus Honiton

Sidmouth U15 rugby action versus Honiton - Credit: Archant

It was a mighty impressive all-round show from the team who also had to combat difficult conditions, with a bitterly cold wind on a wet and very greasy pitch as they cruised to victory.

Sidmouth struck the games opening score when David Chan broke through and passed to Tom Counsell who, finding his path blocked, off-loaded to Angus Eaton who put it down in the corner to.

The next try came from a lineout five yards from the Honiton line and Dave Chan bulldozed his way through the Honiton defence to score.

The strong Honiton pack were instrumental in their side bagging a try back after good steady pressure finally put them over the line.

You may also want to watch:

Sidmouth came back again with Theo Headon making a mighty shove in a ruck to gain the ball which then went out to the three quarters where Tom Counsell ran in the next try to send Sidmouth into half time with a 15-5 lead.

After the break Sidmouth enjoyed even greater dominance! The forwards won a scrum and Tom Counsell crossed once more.

Most Read

Angus Eaton ran the next try in followed not long afterwards by Tom Counsell who, shortly after, scooped up a loose ball ten yards out to gain his fourth try of the game.

The last try of the match was also the most impressive. Honiton kicked off, Dave Chan bent over scooped the ball up just as a Honiton player ran in and attempted a tackle.

Chan ended up with his head between the defender legs and, like a charging bull, and, with the defender hanging upside down on his back, ran five metres before shaking him off and sprinting 70-yards to the line!

On a pitch where grass was hard to find not a single try was converted and watching from the side line you almost expected the ball to stick to the kicker’s foot such were the conditions. It was a credit to both sides that they played so well.

Your match reporter struggled to write with hands that were numb with the cold and the worst I had was a cold pen not a freezing wet rugby ball!

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus