Charles Stanley Monday Stableford victory for H Thompson
- Credit: Archant
The tenth round of the Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was played in glorious weather and a large field enjoyed the conditions, writes John Barnard.
Scoring was very good with a number of players beating their handicaps. There was a new winner this week, H Thompson. A relatively new convert to golf, he is showing it is never too late to take up this great game.
He scored an excellent 43 points to by two but his winnings would have been much higher had he entered the sweep.
With a handicap of 23, four pars and two birdies on the back nine was more than enough to seal his win. A reduction in handicap to 20 will get his attention next week.
In second place was Howard Cushing with 41 points, often enough to win. Howard has been playing well recently and this second good score was enough to earn a one shot exceptional reduction so he is now down to 16. Like H, all his scoring was done on the back nine, the highlight being a two on the 15th.
You may also want to watch:
There were two players on 39 points but Chris Lewis’s back nine was better to earn him third place.
In the eclectic, Jonathan Lee has joined Mike Knight at the top of the table with a nett 50.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
Harrison Jones and Howard Cushing are one shot back on 51.
In the birdie count, John Jones now leads with 23, followed by Nick Gingell on 21 and Jonathan Lee on 19.