Charles Stanley Monday Stableford victory for H Thompson
- Credit: Archant
The tenth round of the Charles Stanley Monday Stableford was played in glorious weather and a large field enjoyed the conditions, writes John Barnard.
Scoring was very good with a number of players beating their handicaps. There was a new winner this week, H Thompson. A relatively new convert to golf, he is showing it is never too late to take up this great game.
He scored an excellent 43 points to by two but his winnings would have been much higher had he entered the sweep.
With a handicap of 23, four pars and two birdies on the back nine was more than enough to seal his win. A reduction in handicap to 20 will get his attention next week.
In second place was Howard Cushing with 41 points, often enough to win. Howard has been playing well recently and this second good score was enough to earn a one shot exceptional reduction so he is now down to 16. Like H, all his scoring was done on the back nine, the highlight being a two on the 15th.
You may also want to watch:
There were two players on 39 points but Chris Lewis’s back nine was better to earn him third place.
In the eclectic, Jonathan Lee has joined Mike Knight at the top of the table with a nett 50.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
Harrison Jones and Howard Cushing are one shot back on 51.
In the birdie count, John Jones now leads with 23, followed by Nick Gingell on 21 and Jonathan Lee on 19.