Chief’s edged out by visiting Cambourne

Sidmouth 22, Camborne 23 Camborne’s better patience and control in attack gave them the edge in this close-fought encounter, writes Terry O’Brien.

The Chiefs had a good share of possession and territory, but too often kicked the ball away or conceded penalties when they had their opponents under pressure.

The Chiefs made a flying start with a try in the opening minute. At the first lineout Sam Cummins latched onto a wayward Camborne throw and set the backs running.

Accurate passing put Chris Higgs in space on the left and Jason Luff was in support to finish the move off. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

Sidmouth continued to dominate the early play but could not add to their score. On the quarter hour the Camborne fly half opened his side’s account with the first of six penalties.

You may also want to watch:

The Chiefs responded almost immediately when Jack Pyne found space on the blindside of a ruck inside his own half. He burst up field before timing his pass perfectly to send Chris Higgs in at the corner. Again the try was unconverted.

The visitors had the better of the second quarter as their pack gained the upper hand. The fly half closed the gap with two more penalties.

Most Read

They eventually took the lead just before halftime when the outside centre forced his way over from close range after a long period of pressure. The halftime score was 10-14.

The fly half kicked his side further ahead with a penalty soon after the restart. Then Jason Luff reignited his side when he followed up his own kick to re-gather and burst clear.

He was eventually brought down a metre short of the line. A Camborne player prevented quick release of the ball, and a likely try. He was yellow carded for the offence.

Tom Whelan kicked the resulting penalty, but the Chiefs failed to take any further advantage of the extra man.

They came close when Sam Meadham broke down the right to set up a narrow overlap for Glenn Channing, but he was bundled into touch-in-goal before he could ground the ball.

However, the Chiefs maintained the attacking position and were eventually rewarded with a Tom Whelan penalty.

The Camborne fly half restored a four point advantage briefly before Whelan put his side ahead with a drop goal and a penalty in quick succession.

The lead was short-lived as the visiting number ten converted his sixth penalty to give his side a one point advantage they would hang on to until the final whistle.

On Saturday the Chiefs travel to Cleve.

At the Blackmore the Quins entertain Devonport Services 2nds in a Merit Table game. The kick off is at 2.30pm.

The Colts travel to Exeter Saracens aiming to conclude their East Devon Merit Table campaign with a 100 per cent record.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus