City calls the shots and scoop all available points

Exeter City came from behind on Saturday to clinch all three points at home to Aldershot.

Exeter City came from behind on Saturday to clinch all three points at home to Aldershot. Aldershot started brightly and had the first chance of the game in the second minute when Marvin Morgan forced Paul Jones to save well with a shot from close range. Harding struck over the bar and Louis Soares flashed a shot across the face of goal for the Shots, as they increasingly looked like opening the scoring. But it was the Grecians who finally took the lead on the half-hour mark. Adam Stansfield managed to pick out striker Marcus Stewart who calmly stroked the ball home. Exeter appeared to be strong for the remainder of the first half with Neil Saunders unlucky not to find the net in a good attacking move involving Stansfield and Richard Logan. After the break Exeter also had good chances when Danny Seaborne headed over the bar from a corner and Logan forced a quality save from the Shots' keeper Alex McCarthy. Ten minutes later Aldershot managed to find the net. Harding played a long ball forward to Morgan who found Robinson with a neat ball and the striker buried it. Five minutes later, on the hour-mark, Harding managed to swing a long-range effort in after the ball bounced over keeper Paul Jones. Exeter showed good spirit despite being behind, and their reward came with two goals in as many minutes. The first arrived courtesy of Harding's glancing header from a Matt Gill long through ball which ended up in the back of the net. The 4,840-strong City crowd were still celebrating the equalizing own goal when Neil Saunders curled a superb free-kick into the top corner to win the game for the Grecians. Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale was pleased with his players' performance.He said: "It was a wonderful game of football and a brilliant game to win. It feels like we're going on a bit of a roll that we've been hoping for. We started off well in the second half - but to concede two goals in the space of five minutes and be down on the hour was really tough. What makes the victory more pleasing was our reaction after going 2-1 down."From a fans' perspective, Chris Lake, Sidmouth, commented: "This was a thoroughly deserved win, after an exciting match where City dominated for long spells. The whole team played well to be honest, really hard to single anyone out."Exeter City travel to the Deva Stadium on the Welsh border to play against Chester on Saturday. Chester currently occupy 20th place, just seven points clear of the relegation zone. They have won just four of their 15 fixtures at the Deva this season and have conceded more goals than they have scored. When the teams last met in November, Exeter were comfortable 2-0 winners with goals from Stansfield and Taylor. This is the sort of fixture that ECFC ought to come away from with a positive result. Exeter City forever!If you'd like more information about joining the East Devon Grecians, contact Gareth Hughes via E-mail on , phone (01395) 515552, 07879801477, or visit the website at

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus