Clapp tops in Scorpion fleet at Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
The first of two weekends of RYA training being run at Sidmouth Sailing Club this season took place at the weekend.
Twelve students had enrolled on the course, a mixture of both adults and juniors. Conditions were ideal for their first outing out on the water on the Saturday morning with a consistent West/Southwesterly breeze. Students were taken out by competent helms and given their first lesson on helming a sailing dinghy. The afternoon session involved classroom-based theory.
On Sunday the students were straight back out on the water and the light winds made for ideal conditions for their first solo outing. After a few hours of basic sailing techniques and tacking drills under their belt it was back ashore for some lunch and a hot drink. The afternoon’s session saw the new sailors practicing their new learnt skills on a shortened triangular course, which also saw them try to master the art of jibing. At the end of the session it was back to the clubhouse for a full de-brief.
The club sailing went ahead on Saturday afternoon with a strengthening wind. Launching boats on a low tide with plenty of surf on shore meant most boats had their fair share of water on board before reaching the set sailing course. Three boats retired before the start due to broken rigging sustained whilst launching, leaving nine boats to start the first race. C Clapp again leading from the front in his Laser showed the fleet around the course in the first race. The second race of the day saw J Salter and crew D Johnson in the Scorpion set the pace out in front with all others following.
Most impressive sail of the day was by one of the up and coming juniors of the club Lucy Dufall in her Topper.
You may also want to watch:
Results: Laser Fleet: Race 1; 1, C Clapp; 2, M Taylor; 3, B Croft. Race 2; same as race one!
Scorpion Fleet: Race 1; J Salter / D Johnson; 2, S Price/E Macfayden; 3, N Jennings/J Kinder.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Race 2; J Salter/D Johnson; 2, N Jennings/J Kinder; 3, S Price/E Macfayden