Class room harmony after derby draw between the Otters and the Wasps
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary 2, West Hill Wasps 2 Honours ended even after a well-contested Under-14 derby at Washbrook Meadow.
What the outcome also meant was classroom harmony on Monday morning at King’s School Ottery St Mary where most of the players that make up the two teams go to school!
Matt Leaney scored the only goal of the first half and when the same player doubled the Wasps lead shortly after the restart all three points, and bragging rights, looked to be heading to West Hill.
However, Ottery St Mary, who had enjoyed large periods of dominance before falling two down, were back in the game through a James Hepworth goal.
The Otters had spurned earlier chances and also found Wasps stand-in gloves man Matt Venton in fine form, but they kept plugging away and were good value for their equaliser when Hepworth netted his second with eight minutes remaining.
You may also want to watch:
That set up a grandstand finish, but the Otters could not find a winner and so honours ended even.
Ottery coach Steve Flinders said: “It was a cracking game played in a wonderful spirit.”
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
Wasps’ coach Steve Beresford said: “That was a long second half, but a draw was a fair outcome.”