Clinical finishing of table-toppers the difference in Tipton defeat
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Tipton St John suffered their first defeat of the Macron League Division Three season when they went down 3-1 to table-topping Crediton United who have now won all seven of their opening league games this season.
Beaten they might well have been, but there was only a small difference between the teams across the 90 minutes of action and that was in the finishing department!
The Mid Devon side were far more clinical than Tipton in front of goal! After falling behind, Tipton levelled when Adrian Small drilled home a spot kick, but two late goals sealed another win for the high-flying visitors.
Despite carrying a painful rib injury, Tipton head coach Dale Strawbridge played and after the game he said: “It was an eye-opener for us, and, as a team, whilst we are disappointed to have lost we can take some big positives from the contest. We had as many chances to score as they did – but their finishing was impressive.”
He continued: “They [Crediton] said after the game that we had given them their hardest test to date this season, so that was a big complement for us.”
You may also want to watch:
The injury problems are mounting though for Tipton and skipper Sam Baker is now set for a couple of months on the sidelines as he recovers from a shoulder injury. However, on the plus side, Haydn Banfield may well be fit enough to make his much-awaited return from injury in Saturday’s big derby at home to great rivals Ottery St Mary (3pm).
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford