Cload nets late winner for Sidmouth Warriors U11s
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-11s began the second half of their league campaign with a 3-2 home win over Honiton.
The two teams had contested a hard-fought meeting a week before Christmas and more of the same was expected in this game.
Warriors started with real determination, clearly not wanting to concede an early goal as they had in the previous meeting.
Both teams went close to scoring, but Warriors struck first with a slick counter attack led by Michal Bielawski that ended with Charley Turley drilling the ball home.
The goal filled the Warriors with confidence, and, led superbly by Callum French, the team began to serve up some terrific passing football.
You may also want to watch:
The lead was doubled when a Thomas Nicholls corner found its way into the net.
However, holding a two-goal lead, Warriors seemed too take their foot off the gas and two goals late in the half saw the interval arrive with the score 2-2.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 10 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
The end-to-end nature of the game continued after the break, but both defences proved dominant.
Charles Joy was outstanding at the heart of the Warriors defence and deservedly landed the Man of the Match award.
With the game seemingly set for a draw, Tom Cload was on hand at a goalmouth scramble to touch the ball home and win the match 3-2 for Warriors.
There was still time left for Honiton to go in search of a third of their own, but they were denied by the excellent Anthony Nita in the Warriors goal.