Colin and Sheila begin their year in office as captains
- Credit: Archant
Last weekend was a busy time for Sidmouth Golf Club as, on Friday, the members held their annual general meeting when they were treated to a review of the year by outgoing club captain Richard Powell, a report by Paul Lewis and Alan Billinghurst on the business side of the club and the election of new club captain Colin Macklin and ladies’ captain Sheila Faulkner, writes Paul Lewis.
During their year in post the club captains hold a variety of events to help support the charity of their choice and this year their chosen charity was CLIC Sargent, which Richard’s family had a close affinity to.
Members managed to cobble together a grand total of just over £6,000 to support families at their most difficult time and a cheque was presented to Jordan Anderton, who attended on behalf of the charity.
On Sunday, the annual ‘putt out’ and ‘drive in’ took place. The outgoing captains, Richard Powell and Maria Clapp, showed off their putting skills on the 18th green and for the first time in many years they both succeeded in completing the task in the standard two putts.
Nobody was surprised that Maria completed the task, but there were gasps of amazement that Richard managed it as well!
You may also want to watch:
The ‘drive in’ took place shortly afterwards, with Colin Macklin being spared the embarrassment of being out driven by Sheila, who nevertheless drove a very good ball up the left of the first fairway. Colin no doubt breathed a huge sigh of relief!
Following all of this, members were treated a snack by Colin and Sheila and they announced that their charity for 2018 would be Sidmouth Hospiscare. Dr Gill Ryall made a short presentation on the work of the charity and their hopes and aspirations for the year. Members were obviously listening as an auction of various things raised just over £900!
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
At present, the club has an offer of unlimited golf until the end of March for £80. Anyone interested should contact club manager, Andy Blight, at the Golf Club.