College students star at Colyton
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth College Year 8 team took part in an annual 7-a-side tournament at Colyton and played well to end up runners-up.
Drawn in the larger pool group of five teams, Sidmouth first played a strong Uffculme team and took control from the outset, eventually coming out as convincing winners. This positive pattern was followed over the remaining pool matches leaving Sidmouth as the pool winners.
In the semi-finals, the Sidmouth team then played the runners-up of the second pool, The King’s School, and again completed a confident victory. However, some Sidmouth players sustained injuries during this match which hampered the team’s efforts in the final against Exmouth Community College.
Exmouth came out fully prepared and took control with some early tries to which Sidmouth responded well. However, eventually, Exmouth took control of the game and came away with a fully deserved win and the trophy - leaving Sidmouth as runners-up.
Commenting on the result, PE teacher Mr Rob Clifton, who accompanied the boys, said: “Throughout the competition Sidmouth played with spirit and demonstrated excellent skills and teamwork. I was especially pleased with their ability to include every team member in a fair and even manner.
You may also want to watch:
“All members of the squad can be pleased with their performances and the excellent manner in which they represented the College.
“Congratulations on a most enjoyable and successful tournament.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Congratulations go to Joe Lowe, Jacob Fisher, Eliot Perez, Archie Bagwell, Rory Morgan, Ethan Mead, Oliver Perez, Kade Hayman, Sam Hunt, Callum Wilkes, Tom Woodruff and Alastair Papworth.