Colson stars as Sidmouth beaten at North Petherton
- Credit: Archant
North Petherton 25, Sidmouth 6 Sidmouth were at a considerable disadvantage in terms of size and strength and could not have won this game without disproving Newton’s Second Law of Motion, writes Clive Dwerryhouse.
North Petherton received the ball from the kick-off and, by the simple expedient of passing, running straight and recycling the second phase quickly, set up an overlap for their right wing to score in the corner.
That was less than two minutes into the game and a rout looked inevitable!
However, with fifteen minutes of play remaining North Petherton were only 13-6 ahead, due to the tenacity and tackling of the Sidmouth side.
The home team became so frustrated that they were reduced to thirteen men by two yellow cards. Dan Retter took the opportunity to convert two penalties for Sidmouth’s only points.
You may also want to watch:
In the final quarter of the game, with North Petherton returned to full strength and Sidmouth picking up injuries, the home side added two tries and a conversion to go with their two tries and a penalty in the first half.
As this young and spirited Sidmouth side gain in experience, they will continue to pose problems for the stronger teams in the league.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
For Sidmouth, left wing Dan Colson had an outstanding game in defence and attack and was duly named Man of the Match.
Tomorrow Sidmouth entertain a St Austell side that side third in the fledgling table.
The match will be preceded by the first Patrons Lunch of the season.