Colts dig deep for win

Plymouth Argaum Colts 0,

Sidmouth Colts 20

With Charlie Davies deservedly playing for the 1st XV and seven other regulars missing, the Sidmouth RFC player drought appeared to be spreading, writes John Hamill.

A mixture of promises and threats resulted in just 15 players making the journey to Plymouth including Tom Irish, ejected from his sickbed, and a somewhat surprised Bobby Taylor-Crofts making his first start this year.

Mike Bond from the u16s made himself available at the 11th hour and made an enormous contribution to the afternoon’s success.

You may also want to watch:

The make-do-and-mend approach extended to the match official who, despite his youthful appearance, was able to convince both coaches he definitely was 15-years-old.

Sidmouth started well, playing a structured game, controlling the breakdown and making progress up the field, Argaum only finding relief by hoofing the ball upfield when they managed to get some possession. Sidmouth’s pressure eventually paid off with Gareth Pearson grounding the ball for a try which was not awarded, due to a technicality.

Most Read

From the resultant opposition scrum, however, Johnny Hamill forced his way over for the first try, which was converted from the touchline by Ben Pratt.

As a result, Argaum started to raise their game, their physicality and determination making up for their shortage of rugby skills. A converted penalty, again well taken by Ben Pratt, meant that Sidmouth went into the break 10 points ahead. The referee warned both teams about their discipline at half time, which surprised the Sidmouth team and coaches, but the players agreed not to allow themselves to be subjected to any foul play.

Sidmouth continued their controlled and measured game into the second half with this group of players working superbly as team. If Taylor-Crofts was surprised to be playing, he was even more surprised to score the second try of the afternoon, but took his opportunity well. Ben Pratt converted a second penalty with skill, the ball still rising as it crossed the hedge into the field next door.

The end of the match was somewhat disjointed due to the failure of the Referee’s watch. A nasty eye injury to Matt Ewings brought proceedings to a close just before the rewound watch indicated time was up.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus