Cook and Cook on the march in county competition
- Credit: Archant
It’s hard to believe the 2014 outdoor bowls summer season is into its second month, writes Susie Bonnell.
Last Saturday morning (May 31) saw the first of the club’s nominated mixed pairs competition’s get under way.
Veterans, Ron and Sylvia Cook were playing relative newcomers, Jim and Rosemary Brown.
The first eight ends of the match saw Ron and Sylvia power their way to a 21-1 lead!
However, Jim and Rosemary, who only started playing last year, proved they are made of sterner stuff!
You may also want to watch:
Once they got possession of the mat, they put up long jacks and, over the next ends brought the score up to 22/14!
Ron and Sylvia managed to go on to win 30/14, but it was a well fought contest by Jim and Rosemary.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
Ron and Sylvia - with only a couple of hours rest - went on to play in another competition in the afternoon.
They met with Margaret Bright and David Brown from Ottery Bowls Club to play a second match in the County Mixed Pairs Competition.
What a tight, nail-biting game it proved to be! On the last end with a score of 16/16, it was anyone’s game. Ron and Sylvia secured the winning shot by a whisker giving them a score of 17/16.
So it’s congratulations to the Cooks’ who will be representing Sidmouth in the Section Three County Semi-Final Mixed Pairs - we wish them lots of luck.