Coombes strike seals midweek derby win for Sidbury United
- Credit: Archant
Sidbury United 4, Tipton St John 0 United’s second Fresha League outing of the season saw them claim a resounding midweek home win over their East Devon neighbours.
The early exchanges were even with the visitors working very hard to close down space and deny the hosts the chance to get their passing game going.
The deadlock was broken when United centre half Dan McCann clipped a ball between his opposite number and the full back for Ashley Small to get in behind and lob beyond the advancing keeper. The goal settled the home side and they began to boss proceedings. The lead was doubled when a Dave Green shot was parried out to Mark Hadley who sliced his attempt at an acrobatic scissor kick, but the ball found the back of the net from five-yards.
The third goal arrived with 25 minutes remaining; a 20-yard free-kick by Russ Coombes nestling in the bottom corner of the net.
A Green penalty completed the scoring, but in the last minute Kees Willis was denied by a linesman’s flag after his powerful header had hit the net.
You may also want to watch:
United boss Jeremy Schofield said: We played reasonably well, but I do feel there is much more to come from this squad of players. On another day I believe we might have scored double figures, but we need to improve our finishing as we will not always have so many opportunities to score in a single contest.”
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 6 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support