Cotton hat-trick as Sidmouth Warriors U15s net first win of season
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Sidmouth Warriors Under-15s are at last celebrating success after they landed their first win of the campaign.
Warriors, who have had a tough time so far this season, were up against a very physical Axminster Town side.
What’s more, at half-time, Warriors trailed by three goals, but they produced a stunning second-half fight-back to take the match honours 5-3.
The first half saw plenty of end-to-end action with Warriors giving as good as they got. However, as has so often been the case so far this season, Warriors were bereft of any good fortune and, typical of their lack of luck, George Gelling was a whisker away from netting at one end while Axminster scored three times to lead 3-0 at the interval.
Warriors made a flying start to the second period and two goals in the opening 10 minutes from Freddie Cotton fired them straight back into the contest.
You may also want to watch:
Axminster hit back, but the Warriors defended well and, when play switched to the other end of the pitch, a foul in the area saw a penalty awarded and young Cotton rifled home to spot kick to level the scores.
Both teams set about looking for a ‘winner’, but it was Warriors who took the match honours with further goals scored by George Gelling and Cameron Ward to leave Warriors celebrating that much coveted first win of the season.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat