Cotton scores five tries as Sidmouth Colts win well at Exeter Saracens
- Credit: Archant
Exeter Saracens Colts 8, Sidmouth Colts 43 Charlie Cotton bagged five tries in this Colts win at Saracens, but the final score does a disservice to the hosts who were tough opposition and made Sidmouth work for every yard on the field, writes Dan Goddard.
Saracens had long periods of possession when Sidmouth had to scramble in defence and though the win looks comfortable this was a much closer game than it suggests.
Of the Sidmouth players both Xenon Kearn and Sam Dix had stand-out games. The new colts were particularly impressive with James Maskill, Jake Tansley, Harry Rumens, Malachi Reyner and Joe Herbert all showing well. Rumens and Herbert both scored debut Colts tries and have a great platform to push on and develop their games.
After what should have been the perfect start a lack of concentration and execution handed Saracens the initiative and they deservedly took the lead.
It was then important for Sidmouth to get some control of play and Down, Welsford, Carlisle, Pares and Wells-Burr all showed the sort of leadership required to influence various areas of the game.
You may also want to watch:
It is important the Colts learn quickly and react to situations on the field. Reyner showed good initiative at the line out to secure valuable ball and Dan Powell intelligently varied his kicking game to work good exit strategies.
The Colts are at home to Newton Abbott this weekend and, with a very tough run of games in the lead-in to cup rugby in November, if the Colts can commit to building on this good start there is every opportunity for an enjoyable and successful season.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98