Courtinhas plays big part in first point of season for SOHC men’s first XI
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s first XI bagged a first point of the season with a 1-1 draw at Westbury.
After falling behind to an early goal, SOHC gained a foothold in the contest, controlled large periods of it, but, despite creating some good chances, were unable to find a goal. They trailed for almost the entire game until, a terrific run from young Sam Courtinhas ended with him firing the ball across the face of the goal where it was turned past his own keeper by a Westbury player to give SOHC a richly deserved share of the spoils. Joe Button was named the SOHC Man of the Match after an outstanding debut for the team.
The men’s second team also banked their first point of the league campaign, but in their case it was so nearly all, three points as they led until the final play of the game before having to settle for a 2-2 draw with second in the table Bodmin. Trailing at half-time, the second eleven took control of proceedings with goals from George Powell and Ade Brooker. They held that lead, and looked comfortable with it, until that late, late Bodmin goal from a penalty corner.
The men’s third team dominated the middle third of their meting with East Devon B.
Despite losing 3-0 there were many positives for the team to take out of the game. None more so than the display of Dan Weedon who stepped in to play goalkeeper and made a strong of fine saves. There were many chances created, but a finish was not forthcoming, but playing in that fashion the goals will surely come soon!
You may also want to watch:
Steve Harris scored what proved to be a consolation for the men’s fifth team who went down 5-1 at Isca. The teams were all square at half time with the Harris goal coming from a slick short corner routine.
Three goals, early in the second half, saw Isca take the points, but, like the third team, there were positives aplenty to take from the game, none more so than the performances of the teams younger members.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?