Crickets are shaping up
Ottery Crickets Men’s 1st XI 1, Bridgwater 3
The Ottery Crickets Men’s 1sts game this week didn’t go their way, losing 3-1 to Bridgwater, writes Nicky Bishop.
This match between two teams at the same end of the table was a competitive challenge that Bridgwater shaded in the last 10 mins of a fast a furious game.
Bridgwater scored first from a flowing move down the left after 15 minutes. Crickets equalled within five minutes from a well worked short corner, Jim Harris pushing home from short distance.
It was level pegging until Crickets lost two players, including their left back, to his second yellow of the game, for a technical offence in the 23m. This handed the advantage to Bridgwater which they took gratefully.
You may also want to watch:
Rapid passing saw them sweep the ball home after a great first save from the excellent Neale Frood in goal. The visitors’ third killed off the game and any chance of a recovery with only a few minutes to go. Next week they play Exeter University away on Sat Nov 5.
?The ladies’ 1st team played a friendly against ECVH 2s, with a final score 4-1 to the Crickets.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
ECVH scored early in the first half, but Crickets equalised before half time from a short corner with a great strike from Karen Dutton.
Crickets then dominated the game and, after another perfect short corner strike from Jessica Williams, were in the lead. Williams scored another soon after, and, by the final whistle, Crickets had slotted another past the ECVH goal keeper, who had a great game, saving many shots that Crickets fired at her. Player of the Match went to Alice Stafford, for great support from the defence.
? The ladies’ 2nd team has also been having a good start to the season, winning their last two league games against Exe and Sidmouth.
With both ladies’ teams through to the next round of the Devon Trophy, it is shaping up to be a good season.