Crickets stung by Hornets
Having beaten second in the league, Teign the week before, Ottery Crickets Ladies II were keen to keep the winning momentum going.
A full-strength side faced local rivals, Honiton, in what turned out to be an exciting and eventful local derby with plenty of goals.
For much of the first half, both teams had lots of opportunities to pull ahead.
Ottery Crickets’ defenders were caught unaware, even though they felt as if they had the situation in hand, only to find the ball in the back of the net from an amazing acute angle strike by a Honiton attacker.
After half time, Ottery piled on the pressure which led to Jane Roberts scoring from an immaculate through ball from Norma Rich. Ottery unfortunately gave away another goal, but came back with force and Rich battled through the Honiton defence and eventually found the much-needed goal Ottery were looking for.
You may also want to watch:
As the minutes ticked by, there were opportunities at both ends. The breakthrough came for Honiton in the dying couple of minutes.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead