Croquet up and running under chilly Sidmouth skies
- Credit: Archant
The croquet season got off to a bitterly cold start at Sidmouth last Wednesday
Although temperatures were close to zero the chairman, Mike Taylor, and vice-chairman, Peter Nelson, bravely started the season off with a game of Association Croquet, demonstrating the elegant tactics that illuminate this version of the game.
On the other lawn four keen people led by Gabby Macadam entertained those brave enough to withstand the icy winds with the swift changes of fortune and intricate stroke play that mark Golf Croquet.
Afterwards the spectators and players were glad to retire to the pavilion where Gill Hodge sustained all with a hearty buffet lunch.
The main training schedule has now begun, but there are still chances to get involved even if you feel the need to wait for warmer weather!
You may also want to watch:
The person to contact is membership secretary, Rob Mitchell on 01395 578 786 or alternatively visit the club website at sidmouthcroquet.org.uk.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences