Cuckoo calls the tune in latest Beer luggers race
Five luggers took part in last Tuesday’s race.
They launched onto a light southerly breeze and a calm sea.
Because of the wind conditions the race was two rounds of a shorter course.
The Percy Mitchell and Cuckoo led the way from the starting line.
Moondance and Katherine made a tack shorewards, The rest of the fleet sailed seawards hoping for more wind out there.
You may also want to watch:
First lugger to the windward mark was the Percy Mitchell closely followed by Cuckoo with Moondance away in third place.
Sailing towards the home buoy the Percy Mitchell held a slight lead from Cuckoo.
- 1 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
As the race progressed to the windward mark for the second round of the race, the Cuckoo overhauled the Percy Mitchell.
By this time the wind gradually became less and less. This left the luggers just drifting along.
Cuckoo managed to reach the windward mark well ahead of the Percy Mitchell.
Running into the home buoy the race officer, because of the lack of wind, decided to shorten the race.
This left the Cuckoo well in front of the rest and crossed the finishing line with time to spare.
Result of the Race: 1. Cuckoo (G Dart); 2. Percy Mitchell (K Gosling); 3. Moondance (G Pook); 4. Puffin (R Driver); 5. Katherine (T Touman).