Cyril Smith Shield success for Andy Thompson at Sidford Short Mat Bowls Club
Finals day of the annual pairs and singles competition at Sidford Short Mat Bowls Club produced some fine bowling, writes Carol Beckett.
First up were the pair’s semi-finals. On one mat were Rob Frewin and Carol Beckett playing Ian Friedlander and Peter Ellis whilst the other mat staged the meeting between Betty Smith and Andy Thompson playing Jean Frewin and Rupert C-White.
Both games were keenly contested with Frewin and Beckett and Frewin and C-White the successful pairs.
The final saw husband and wife in opposite teams! It was Jean Frewin with Rupert C-Wright who ultimately secured the trophies, kindly donated by two members in memory of their late husbands.
The singles semi finals were both very close affairs with Andy Thompson edging out Carol Beckett and Tony Lavers narrowly beating Jean Frewin.
You may also want to watch:
In the final it was Thompson who prevailed to lift the Cyril Smith Shield.
The club meets every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon at Sidford Social Hall, Byes Lane. We welcome experienced and newcomers to the sport.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
For more information contact Andy Thompson 01395 513500.