Cyril Smith Shield success for Andy Thompson at Sidford Short Mat Bowls Club
Finals day of the annual pairs and singles competition at Sidford Short Mat Bowls Club produced some fine bowling, writes Carol Beckett.
First up were the pair’s semi-finals. On one mat were Rob Frewin and Carol Beckett playing Ian Friedlander and Peter Ellis whilst the other mat staged the meeting between Betty Smith and Andy Thompson playing Jean Frewin and Rupert C-White.
Both games were keenly contested with Frewin and Beckett and Frewin and C-White the successful pairs.
The final saw husband and wife in opposite teams! It was Jean Frewin with Rupert C-Wright who ultimately secured the trophies, kindly donated by two members in memory of their late husbands.
The singles semi finals were both very close affairs with Andy Thompson edging out Carol Beckett and Tony Lavers narrowly beating Jean Frewin.
You may also want to watch:
In the final it was Thompson who prevailed to lift the Cyril Smith Shield.
The club meets every Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon at Sidford Social Hall, Byes Lane. We welcome experienced and newcomers to the sport.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Hedges are 'valued for the huge benefits they bring for wildlife'
For more information contact Andy Thompson 01395 513500.