Dan’s the man for the Town goal
- Credit: Archant
Dan Stapleton continues in goal for Sidmouth Town for tomorrow’s home meeting with Totnes and Dartington.
Stapleton played for Vikings boss Josh Stunell when the pair were at Seaton Town, but the glovesman has been out of the game for the last 18 months through work and family commitments.
In midweek, Stapleton kept goal superbly in the 1-1 draw with Axminster Town. With regular glovesman this season Steve Jones unavailable for the Totnes game, for Stunell it was a ‘no brainer’.
The Town boss says: “Dan (Stapleton) might have been out of the game for a while, but all who saw the Axminster game will accept that he is no slouch between the sticks and, if he continues to play as he did on Tuesday night then that number one shirt is going to be his.”
On that theme about keeping the shirt, Stunell added: “I think its finally dawning on the players – it’s certainly something we have noticed in the last couple of outings – that the lads now realise that if they don’t put a full shift in then there’s a player itching to take the shirt off their backs and put it on themselves!
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a fact that in each game now, we regularly have two or three ‘unused subs’, and yet have made the three changes. What that means is that we have more than the 14 who are used each game who are capable of playing a role in the team and that makes for seriously healthy competition for places!”
The game against Totnes and Dartington (3pm) tomorrow is followed by a Tuesday night trip to Crediton and a home game next Saturday against Appledore.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
?More Town news inside on page 59.