Daniel delight as Beer Luggers set sail once more
- Credit: Archant
After some years of absence, the Beer Luggers returned to the Axe Estuary for their programmed annual river race.
The race, which starts off Axmouth’s Coronation Corner makes an interesting spectacle with the tanned sailed boats sailing close to the shore at the Green.
Conditions at the start were very light with the boats only just holding their positions against the tide.
Eventually a light southerly wind filled in and the fleet gathered way. Peter Poulson in Gannet II got an early lead by keeping close to the islands out of the tide. As the wind filled in Nigel Daniel’s Gannet III gradually overhauled Gannet II and was first boat to make the windward mark.
The light conditions meant only one round could be completed, but all the boats finished the course before daylight failed! Having packed away their boats the crews were welcomed by the Axe Yacht Club for a fish and chip super.
You may also want to watch:
The Beer based luggers stayed overnight at the Axmouth Harbour and returned to Beer beach Saturday morning.
Line honours: 1, Gannet III - Nigel Daniel; 2, Twilight - Peter Bagwell; 3, Gannet II -Peter Poulson; 4, Moondance – Geoff Pook; 5, Scrumpy – Greg Lockyer.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford