Dave, Jane and Jo wear the Mighty Green and run well at Dartmoor Vale Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Three Sidmouth Running Club (SRC) members took part in the Dartmoor Vale Marathon that was held on the final Sunday of October, writes Hamish Spence.
All 26.2 miles of chilled northerly winds and many hills were braved out by Mighty Green-wearing Dave Wright, Jane Hemsworth and Jo Earlam.
The start for this event was from Sibelco, East Gold Works, which is next to the Newton Abbott Racecourse.
Runners were then taken out along the busy main roads of The Teign Valley into the villages of Kingsteignton and Chudleigh and then on along country lanes beside Ugbrook Park, which is a seemingly never-ending hill. Two laps were completed by the marathon runners. Jo, who – including this one – has done a total of 64 marathons, didn’t really get the runner’s high out there, but did find herself matching her halfway time of the Exeter half marathon – at least she can claim to be consistent!
For the first lap Dave led the Mighty Green team, with Jo and Jane further back, encouraging each other to keep on at it, eventually catching Dave up at around the 14-mile mark.
You may also want to watch:
The trio then walked and jogged together, egging each other on to the end with Jane Hemsworth gaining first Mighty Green across the line, and she was also first Vet Lady 60 with her time being 4:57:41, and that saw her finish 76th overall. Jo Earlam crossed the line one second later and got the 77th place overall and then, in 78th, was Dave Wright, who now has two marathons successfully completed with a timing of 4:58:54.
There was a half marathon in which Kirsteen Welch took the first female spot in very fast, and ‘typical Kirsteen speedy time’ of 1:27:56, which saw her finish eighth overall.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 6 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 9 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 10 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
Another SRC member, David Skinner, took part in the 10k Dartmoor Vale Sibelco race and squeezed in a good time of 1:07:43, which saw him cross the line as the 149th runner home.