David Hoare is new club captain
David Hoare, Sidmouth Golf Club’s new captain, together with the new lady captain, Sheila Skittrall marked the official start of their golfing year with a drive-in under cloudless skies last Sunday.
They were watched and encouraged by about 120 members and friends.
David, who has been a member at Sidmouth for nearly 40 years, considers that he was born and bred in Sidmouth, although there are rumours to the effect that he was actually born in Sidford.
David has chosen the local charity ‘Living With Cancer’ to benefit from his year and its founder Bill Lankester was at the reception following the drive-in, to explain the aims and objectives of the charity, which has been running for about 10 years.
Prior to the drive-in, a Texas Scramble Competition was held in which nearly 100 players took part.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, because of the frosty ground conditions, the competition was played on temporary greens but, in spite of this, some excellent scores were recorded by some, although others bemoaned the unlucky bounces because of the hard bumpy conditions.
Nevertheless all the hard luck stories were soon forgotten once the buffet lunch was washed down with a glass of refreshment.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
Whilst this first competition of the year was very well attended, Sidmouth Golf Club hopes that more local people will join the club this year to enjoy the friendly hospitality offered.
?Winners of the ladies’ competition were: Yvonne Anning, Angela Coles, Ros Eaton and Jaqui Hills 55.3
?Winners of the men’s competition were: Martin French, Mike Dommett, Barry Venn and Pete Northcott 50.0.