Davies try secures Sidmouth Under-16s draw with Argaum at Sidford
Sidmouth Under-16s were involved in a 12-all draw when they hosted Plymouth Argaum on the Prettejohn pitch at Sidford, writes Daryl Pearce.
The visitors kicked off and a home knock-on gave them an early opportunity to work their way towards the Sidmouth try line. Solid home defence held up the initial attempt, but Argaum persevered and, from the resulting scrum, scored in the corner.
The next passages of play saw both teams demonstrate determination and strong defence, producing pitch length play. Bolton showed his speed, but did not have the space to convert this into points. Innes-Kruger worked hard and a Plymouth interception was taken decisively into touch by Lau.
Sidmouth line-outs were skilful with strong forwards lifting Pearse and Hartley who secured the majority of home balls as well as stealing several from the visitors!
Chugg-White impressed with determined pushes as did Barnett, but the only other score of the first half was again achieved by the visitors and a converted try gave them a 12-0 half-time advantage.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Sidmouth bagged the early momentum playing down the slope and a line-out near the Plymouth try line looked promising, but the ball was lost in a maul.
The home side persisted and, from a line-out, Pearse secured the ball which was passed to Hartley and the Sidmouth forwards and several backs welded themselves into the maul producing a 25-yard drive which Plymouth were unable to resist. Hartley kept the ball secure and scored for Sidmouth, but it was a real team effort.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
The home pressure continued and, when Davies collected the ball from a scrum, he saw his opportunity and evaded Plymouth defenders to score the second Sidmouth try which Allen converted to level things up.
There was still time for Hill to lead a late charge, but there was to be no further scoring and both sides deservedly took something from the game.