Devon beaten by Great Western in annual match
- Credit: Archant
reat Western took the honours in the annual inter-regional match against Devon, played at the Isca Centre, Exeter, writes Chris Bigmore.
They beat their hosts decisively 17-13 in a triples format of five rounds of six games. Devon did have a handful of debutants who performed very well against some seasoned players, and went down fighting, all of which bodes well for the future.
It was in fact all square after the first round 3-3, but then GWR pulled ahead 7-5 after round two, and 11-7 after the third.
They maintained the four game lead being ahead 14-10 after round four, and comfortably saw the match home in the final round 17-13.
Three of the Devon teams had three wins, as well as two of the GWR teams, but the top performing team of the day was GWR Four who won all five of their games.
You may also want to watch:
Full results for the Devon teams.
Devon One (Ged Barton, Ann Barton, John Phipps, Costa Drakatos), one win; Devon Two (Thierry Hacq, Rob Thomas, Lesley Drakatos), three wins; Devon Three (Stewart Brown, Joan Dixie, Rob Brealey), three wins; Devoln Four (John Violet, Mike Anderson, Nick Bigwood), one win; Devon Five (Peter Smith, Paul Puddicombe, Mike Carroll), three wins; Devon Six (Ian Ramsay, Sue Ramsay, Mike Newberry), two wins.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls