Devon Petanque League round-up after June 17 matches
- Credit: Archant
The Devon Petanque League has reached the halfway stage in what has been a topsy-turvy season so far, writes Chris Bigmore.
The surprise leaders are Exeter-based Isca, last year’s wooden spoonists, but hot on their heels are the ever strong Ottery St Mary side, who must fancy their own chances of the crown this year.
Results, though, have been volatile with the form book constantly being upset, so the title looks to have a long way to run. Plymouth, Chudleigh and Honiton have been exchanging places in mid table.
Meanwhile, last year’s champions, Pig On The Hill from Westward Ho!, find themselves at the wrong end of the table, just above bottom placed neighbours Torridge. However, things are likely to change as league secretary Ann Barton explains: “The way fixtures had to be planned this year meant that the North Devon sides have been mainly on the road in the first half of the season.
“With more home terrain advantage I would expect to see a different picture as things develop, and affect the whole table.”
You may also want to watch:
It is certainly shaping up to be an interesting and close contest in 2018!
Latest Devon League
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
P W PD Pts B Total
Isca 6 5 52 10 1 11
Ottery St Mary 6 4 72 8 2 10
Chudleigh 6 3 30 6 3 9
Plymouth 6 3 45 6 2 8
Honiton 6 3 -66 6 1 7
Pig On The Hill 6 2 -8 4 2 6
Torridge 6 1 -125 2 0 2
PD is the plus or minus points difference and B is the bonus figure