Devon’s Over-50s meeting with Somerset 2nds at Sidmouth on Sunday falls to the weather
- Credit: Archant
Devon’s 50-over friendly against Somerset 2nd XI at Sidmouth on Sunday has been cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch, writes Conrad Sutcliffe.
The cancellation is a blow to Devon, whose friendly against the University of Exeter at Instow last Sunday was also a casualty of the weather.
Devon only have one possible pre-season game left, against Gloucestershire at Bovey Tracey on April 29, before the serious stuff starts with a trip to Truro to play Cornwall in a T20 double header on May 6.
Neil Gamble, the Devon chairman, said: “I am sorry to report that continuous rain over the last fortnight has left the Fortfield saturated and has made pitch preparation impossible.
“As more heavy showers are forecast over the next few days, any drying out is very unlikely to occur.
You may also want to watch:
“It has therefore been reluctantly decided to cancel the match between Devon and Somerset 2nd X1 at Sidmouth on Sunday.
“It is hoped that it may be possible to rearrange a limited-over fixture between the two sides later in the season.”
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 4 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout