Dibble delights on debut
- Credit: Archant
Match day three of the Tolchards Devon Cricket League finally led to Sidmouth II seeing some action after weather had left them inactive on the first two weeks of the new season.
The team made the short trip to Exmouth where the toss was lost and the home side opted to bat first. Given the lack of match practise the Sidmouth side has been able to get in so far what followed was an understandably rusty fielding performance which saw a number of catches dropped and this also led to some good bowling unrewarded.
England women’s international Jodie Dibble made her debut for the second eleven and bowled an excellent line and length on her way to impressive figures of three for 29 from nine overs with one maiden.
The athletic Dibble held two smart return catches off her own bowling. Charlie Dibble – Jodies uncle – also impressed with the ball, claiming a wicket with the very first ball he sent down! Nick Mansfield was another to use the ball to good effect and he claimed a brace of wickets as Exmouth closed on 170-9 from their 45 overs.
The Sidmouth run chase was devoid of any help from the top six with none of them making any sort of impact in the score book. Only George House, with a knock of 24, showed any resistance to some accurate Maer men bowling.
You may also want to watch:
Seven wickets down and only 81 on the board suggested an early finish to the game, but Charlie Dibble put bat to ball very well with a solid counter attack. He scored a run-a-ball 36 and got good support from both Toby Seldon and Dan Corrick, the latter playing his first ever game of cricket, as the reply closed on 144.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby