Dormer nets late leveller as SOHC ladies 1st XI start new league term with home draw
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) ladies first team began the new Central Division league season with a 1-1 home draw with Taunton Vale IIs.
Having being promoted into Central last season, as a team they knew they had to prove themselves in the league.
From the off, the defence was under pressure and it took a while for SOHC to settle into the contest.
Taunton Vale were clearly well-drilled and comfortable within their team and their early endeavours were rewarded with the opening goal which separated the sides at half-time.
After the break, the visitor’s remained on the front foot and they forced a number of short corners and were denied a number of times by some terrific home goalkeeping.
You may also want to watch:
For SOHC, the midfielders and forward players were working hard to keep the ball under control in Taunton’s half against their strong defence.
With barely five minutes left in the game, Diana Dormor slotted a deserved equaliser, much to the relief of SOHC players an supporters alike, to leave honours ending even.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Peninsula League season could be over
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
One member of another good turnout of support was heard to say: “Well, it might have been the most fluent of performances, but it’s a good start to the new league term.”
In the other Central matches that were played there were home wins for Bridgwater (4-0 v Taw Valley), Clifton Rob’s IV (4-2 against Winscombe) and Taunton CS (6-0 v Minehead) while the only away winners were Somerset Gry who won 4-1 at North Somerset.
Tomorrow (Saturday) SOHC ladies’ 1st XI travel to meet Minehead with the game having a 10.30am start.