Dormer nets late leveller as SOHC ladies 1st XI start new league term with home draw
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) ladies first team began the new Central Division league season with a 1-1 home draw with Taunton Vale IIs.
Having being promoted into Central last season, as a team they knew they had to prove themselves in the league.
From the off, the defence was under pressure and it took a while for SOHC to settle into the contest.
Taunton Vale were clearly well-drilled and comfortable within their team and their early endeavours were rewarded with the opening goal which separated the sides at half-time.
After the break, the visitor’s remained on the front foot and they forced a number of short corners and were denied a number of times by some terrific home goalkeeping.
You may also want to watch:
For SOHC, the midfielders and forward players were working hard to keep the ball under control in Taunton’s half against their strong defence.
With barely five minutes left in the game, Diana Dormor slotted a deserved equaliser, much to the relief of SOHC players an supporters alike, to leave honours ending even.
- 1 Is the River Sid the shortest river in England?
- 2 Bear Grylls praises town's eco-friendly scout 'ambassador'
- 3 Toto has a mosey around gardens and makes a discovery
- 4 'Fabulous' food festival attracts thousands
- 5 Four unexpected kings of England named William
- 6 A rare sight witnessed at town's rugby club
- 7 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 8 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 9 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 10 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth
One member of another good turnout of support was heard to say: “Well, it might have been the most fluent of performances, but it’s a good start to the new league term.”
In the other Central matches that were played there were home wins for Bridgwater (4-0 v Taw Valley), Clifton Rob’s IV (4-2 against Winscombe) and Taunton CS (6-0 v Minehead) while the only away winners were Somerset Gry who won 4-1 at North Somerset.
Tomorrow (Saturday) SOHC ladies’ 1st XI travel to meet Minehead with the game having a 10.30am start.