Double delight for Sidmouth Tennis Club ladies’ teams
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Tennis Club’s ladies have been in action in what could be described as a one off, ‘Covid special’, Winter League run by Exeter and District, writes Vici Topping.
Due to uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, and some teams uncomfortable playing at all, it was decided not to run the league as usual but instead to have a ‘friendly’, competition where neither promotion nor relegation are at stake.
However, judging by the first match between Sidmouth Ladies’ A team and Teign Valley A team, none of the rivalry has dissipated and all players seem to be as competitive as ever! Indeed, it took two championship tie breaks to decide the winners of this first match with Sidmouth’s, experienced pairing of Debbie Snelgrove and Fiona Sommerville winning both their matches and captain Viv Bess and Hilary Caldwell clinching one hard fought win but going down narrowly to Teign Valley’s first pairing. The final result was a well-earned 6-4 win for Sidmouth.
Equally, the Sidmouth Ladies’ B enjoyed success when they welcomed Lympstone A to the Fortfield courts.
Captain, Marlene Maynard, teaming up with the young and talented Jess Wiltshire, proved too tough for Lympstone’s first pairing in what was a long and tough match decided by a championship tie break where the home team held their nerve to overcome the visitors.
You may also want to watch:
This set them up for a more straightforward win over the tricky second pairing although they needed to dig deep to secure a 7-5 final set against a determined Lympstone duo.
The other Sidmouth pairing of An Van Hecke and Vici Topping secured straight set wins over both Lympstone pairings, the former’s left-hand play and ability to put the ball away at the net, proving decisive.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
The final result was an emphatic 8-1 success for the home team.