Draws galore for Sidmouth’s Mixed Doubles teams
Sidmouth Tennis Club Mixed Doubles Teams have produced consistent results in their last three matches- all of them draws.
In the home match against Newton St Cyres, the team of Martin Truman, Debbie Snelgrove, John Clarke and Mary Dean did well to share the spoils with their opponents who had won all of their matches up to that point.
The rubbers were closely contested with play going on till 10pm on a chilly Friday night.
The first couple of Truman and Snelgrove just failed to clinch the Championship tie-break losing it 10-8. However, second pairing of Clarke and Dean did prevail against their opposition.
The men then went on to win their doubles but the ladies narrowly lost theirs in two tight sets 7-5, 7-5 resulting in an overall score of five points each.
You may also want to watch:
A totally different team of Richard Davies, Lesley Cranston, Joost Van Gurp and Vici Topping, set off in icy conditions to Exeter Golf and Country Club last Sunday morning and after a short delay to allow the courts to thaw, play did get under way.
Davies and Cranston had a relatively easy passage in their contest winning through 6-1, 6-1 whilst the second pairing lost out in two tightly fought sets 6-4, 6-4.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 5 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Hedges are 'valued for the huge benefits they bring for wildlife'
Topping and Cranston were too strong for their opposition, dropping just four games whilst the men battled strongly in their first set and indeed had a set point which eluded them on a netcord.
They then succumbed in the tie-break and rather lost heart after that, going down 6-1 in the second set. Overall the result ended 4-4 which is a most respectable draw for the team.
One further match remains to be played before Christmas in this league, an achievement in itself given the difficult conditions our weather system has thrown at us in the last couple of months.