Dunn stars as Town thirds see continue promotion push with Bickleigh win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth thirds secured an eighth win of the Macron League Division Seven season with a 5-3 home win over a Bickleigh side that were clearly boosted by their club’s first team players (the Mid Devon club’s senior side were without a game).
Always set to be a tough examination of the Town promotion credentials, the young Vikings passed with flying colours.
With a number of the third team promoted to the second team ranks it means a much-changed Town side took to the pitch for the game.
It very quickly became apparent how much of a challenge the young – and changed – Town side were up against as Bickleigh raced into a 2-0 lead.
Undaunted, the Vikings continue to look to pass the ball around and they began to look particularly dangerous down either flank.
You may also want to watch:
The route back into the game came when the visitors conceded a free-kick and Connor Murphy whipped the ball into a crowded penalty area when teenager Jonny Dunn rose to head the ball powerfully past the Bickleigh keeper. The goal lifted the home side and they had the better of things through to the break.
The Town recovery was completed in a terrific second half display.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Parity was restored when Ben Squance scored his first goal for the club with a clinical finish. Reuben Raffell then edged Sidmouth in front with a thunderous shot followed by a less than thunderous celebration!
Jimmy Pearse added another before Jonny Dunn capped his Man of the Match shift, rounding the Bickleigh glovesman and rolling the ball into an empty net.
Even a late third for the visitors could not take any gloss off a wonderful day for the Town third team who can now enjoy their festive break before returning on January 14 with a home game against Seaton Town Reserves.