Dutton hat-trick as SOHC crush hosts Clevedon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery’s ladies first team powered their way to a 5-0 victory at Clevedon to consolidate second place in the Central Division.
The side made the trip up the M5 to Clevedon in confident mood following their 6-3 Ottery win over Old Bristolians the week before.
However, with an early kick-off in bitterly cold conditions the team made a sluggish start against the division’s basement dwellers.
Clevedon looked sharp in the early exchanges and the defensive combination of Sophie Hudson and Emily Ackland, together with goalkeeper Hayley Delasalle did well to keep the home side at bat. Some interesting umpiring decisions led to a string of short corners, but Clevedon were unable to convert.
Once SOHC eased their way into the game, retaining possession well and moving the ball around the pitch with pace.
You may also want to watch:
When they won their first short corner of the morning Karen Dutton stuck the ball sweetly and hit the back board first time!
A few minutes later they were awarded another corner and Dutton duly repeated the process to send the side into half-time with a 2-0 lead.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
After the break SOHC were quickly into their stride and Dutton completed her hat-trick with a shot to the bottom left corner of the net from open play.
The impressive Katie Jackson was the inspiration behind goal number four. She set off on a driving run that took her from defence through the middle third of the pitch before finding Dutton who, in turn, crossed to Jess Oliver on the back post and she swept it calmly into the back of the net.
The fifth was of a similar ilk with another cross to a waiting Katy Dean on the penalty spot. Thereafter SOHC closed the game out well.
On Saturday the ladies travel again, this time to a Clifton side that side third, one place and one point behind SOHC in the table. When the sides met at Ottery in October SOHC won 1-0. A similar outcome this weekend and SOHC will further strengthen their grip on a top two berth.
Central Division P W D L F A Pts
Redland UWE 11 9 1 1 47 7 28
Sidmouth & Ottery 11 8 0 3 32 20 24
Clifton 3 12 7 2 3 30 15 23
Winscombe 12 7 1 4 27 19 22
Taunton Vale 2 12 6 3 3 51 31 21
Firebrands 3 11 4 4 3 25 24 16
Bridgwater 12 4 2 6 23 22 14
Old Bristolians 2 11 3 1 7 25 36 10
ECVH 11 2 0 9 15 49 6
Clevedon 11 0 0 11 7 59 0