East Budleigh Chess Club set to fold owing to falling membership numbers
- Credit: Archant
East Budleigh Chess Club is in the process of disbanding due to falling membership, writes Brian Gosling.
The club has had a short seven years of happy existence.
A highlight was certainly winning the championship section of the Exeter Chess League and the club is also proud of the fact that it ran team in the Devon League and knockout competitions.
Grandmaster Keith Arkell gave a memorable simultaneous display and twice turned out for the club's Devon Knockout competition team and, in one of the matches, East Budleigh came mighty close to inflicting a shock defeat on Exeter.
A Christmas Reunion Blitz Chess meeting is to be held on December 12 with tickets to be £5.
You may also want to watch:
Also, a celebration one-day Open Rapid Chess Tournament is also being planned for spring 2020 at which it is hoped a world-class player, will make a guest appearance. More details on that to follow in due course.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club