East Devon Petanque team triumph in first ever competitive match.
Members of East Devon Petanque Club, based at Thorn Park Golf Centre near Salcombe Regis, had never played competitive petanque in the club’s short history and Chris Bigmore invited Dave West to bring over some players from the Ottery St Mary Club for a friendly fixture, writes Dave West.
Always up for a challenge, the Otters turned up to meet their slightly apprehensive opponents and the match was played as two triples and three doubles.
As the games progressed the East Devon players soon found that the Otters were really rather friendly and a good evening was enjoyed by one and all.
Not surprisingly, results went the way of the more experienced Ottery side:
Results: (East Devon names first)
You may also want to watch:
Clive, Jenny and Ian lost the opening triple 4-13 to John, Pete J and Viv, while Chris, Annie and Brian made Derek, Margaret and Pete M fight hard before going down 10-13.
Clive and Ian then played John and Derek, losing 7-13 while Brian and Annie succumbed to Pete J and Viv 7-13.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
But the evening was not a complete whitewash with Chris and Jenny playing well to beat Martin and Dave 13-6.
So the result was a 5-1 win for the Otters but new friendships were well and truly cemented with the provision of coffee, tea and cakes by the home players and everyone enjoyed the meeting of the two local clubs for the first time.
A return fixture will be played when the Ottery club’s move to the town council’s field in Strawberry Lane can be completed.