Easter success for East Budleigh Chess Club duo
- Credit: Archant
East Budleigh players Ken Alexander and Brian Gosling both came equal third in their relative sections in a very successful West of England Chess Championships held over the Easter weekend at the Manor Hotel, Exmouth.
The event was ably organised by Meyrick Shaw and Bob Jones, both well-known members of Exmouth Chess Club. For the full prize list, see the websites mentioned later.
Rather surprisingly, Brian Gosling is the winner of the East Budleigh Club Championship as he managed to beat the previous holder, musician Kevin Hurst, in the final. Kevin was the first-ever East Budleigh champion and had held the title for four years.
The other places of the championship have still to be decided as this report goes to press.
Friendly and ladder games will be played on the next club night.
You may also want to watch:
Chessbase.com is offering a place on the internet where friends and members of a club can play chess matches against each other for free.
East Budleigh Chess Club is hoping to take up the offer and this may appeal to potential players who may for various reason not wish to play over-the-board chess.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
See Keverelchess.com and Chessdevon.org.uk websites for full results from competitions, more local chess news and entry forms for tournaments.
The next meeting for East Budleigh Chess Club is Thursday, April 12, at 6.50pm at the All Saints Church Hall.
For more information on all things East Budleigh Chess Club, contact Brian Gosling by email at email@example.com or by phone on 01395 442060.