Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- Credit: John Sherlock
Mackerel are still being caught in good numbers all along the South Devon coast, although they are not constant in when they appear, there some days and not the next.
If recent years are anything to go by this will be the pattern until Christmas or even beyond. Mackerel Anglers have also been catching small Red and Grey Gurnards on small lures and also whilst float fishing
Tony White gas been out and about again this week with his favoured white Senko lure chasing the hard fighting Bass. The reward for his efforts a 4lbs 7oz fish during a night session. Travelling anglers Brad Eldon and Dave Porch took a trip to the Bristol Channel, again fishing a session into the night where Brad landed a Bull Huss of 8lbs 8oz and Dave landed two Thornback Rays of 8lbs and 7lbs.
Boat anglers have had a good week with Lewis Hodder taking his charter boat Pegasus out from Lyme Regis and finding some of the pretty Red Gurnards that seem abundant at the moment.
Peter O’Connell landed one of 1lb 8oz and Andy Gregory one of 1lb 7oz. In the same area, John Howard of Colyton, fishing aboard Stewart Pike‘s boat Orca out of Beer, caught a magnificent Undulate Ray weighing in at 17lbs 4oz this took a Mackerel bait.
Pete Gregory of Exeter fished aboard Teddie Boy out of Minehead and had a superb day, landing Blonde and Small Eyed Rays, as well as Smoothhounds and Congers, all taken on running ledger rigs with large squid and fish baits.
With the weather beginning to cool, the Carp fishing will become more difficult as the fish sit deeper in the water and feed less. With this in mind, Abe Browning took his daughter Kelli to Hogsbrook lakes in East Devon, where they fished a ledgered boillie with Kerri landing a new personal best, a Common Carp of 14lbs 12oz. Well done young lady.
Entries are now being taken for our fish of the month competition kindly sponsored by Sidewinder Lures and Newbarn Angling Centre. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or by messenger.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 6 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 7 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 November runs in the Sun for Sidmouth Running Club