Emily King gets call up to GB team for French event next month
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s Emily King has had her third British team call-up for the Hows Racesafe sponsored British Junior Eventing team.
The youngster has been selected following a strong 2013 season plus expert performances at the final team selection trial last week held at Aston Le Walls Horse Trials, Daventry).
Emily will take one of three horses that she has been selected on, either Ms Nikki Brooks’ brown gelding Brookleigh, Lord Patrick Beresford’s bay gelding Charlemagne or Mrs Patsy Mason’s bay gelding Mr Hiho.
The decision as to which horse will go will be made at the end of the month and will be a joint decision between the Junior selectors and the rider.
The 17-year-old has been selected as part of a squad of six horses and riders who will head to the 2013 FEI Junior European Championships at Haras de Jardy (France, from September 12 to 15), to defend team and individual gold titles as well as Emily’s 2012 individual silver. Of the six riders, four will represent Britain as a collective team with the two additional riders competing for individual medals for Britain.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of Junior Selectors, Ginnie Keen said of the new squad: “As ever selection wasn’t easy, this year we were especially spoilt for choice from an incredible line-up of young contenders on the 2013 long list. I think we have an incredible strength in depth of both new faces as well as more experienced riders on this year’s squad.”
On Emily she commented: “it is a joy to have Emily back on the squad for a third year running; she has already proven a fantastic asset to the team having finished seventh in her British squad debut in 2011 then bringing home individual silver in 2012.”
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 4 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 5 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 6 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
Emily is the daughter of six time British Olympian eventer Mary King who was part of Britain’s silver medal winning team at London 2012. Emily works full time as a professional event rider producing horses from the family base here in Devon.