Emmett try puts polished seal on Sidmouth Under-13 cup win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 38, Torquay 17 Sidmouth Under-13s made Devon Cup progress with a fine all-round show, writes Karen Syradd.
When the two sides had met in the same competition last season the Tops came out on top.
Two tries in the opening ten minutes from recent signing Louis Morel, who showed the visiting defence a clean set of heels each occasion, got Sidmouth off the a great start.
With such a high tempo start it was inevitable that tiredness would creep in. As it did, the visitors mounted a response and the home side were forced to defend strongly.
A third Sidmouth try arrived on 21 minutes with Max Peacock the scorer.
You may also want to watch:
The second period saw a much sharper Torquay side that started strongly and put up their first points in the 33rd minute, heralding an exciting passage of play.
Sidmouth, showing strong resolve, had to defend deep within their half on occasions, but showed an improvement in their rucking and mauling play from previous outings.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
Strong play from overturned balls allowed another two tries from the home side whilst the visitors replied with two of their own before the last try of the contest in the final minute from Sidmouth’s James Emmett, on sealed a much deserved win.