Emmett try puts polished seal on Sidmouth Under-13 cup win
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth 38, Torquay 17 Sidmouth Under-13s made Devon Cup progress with a fine all-round show, writes Karen Syradd.
When the two sides had met in the same competition last season the Tops came out on top.
Two tries in the opening ten minutes from recent signing Louis Morel, who showed the visiting defence a clean set of heels each occasion, got Sidmouth off the a great start.
With such a high tempo start it was inevitable that tiredness would creep in. As it did, the visitors mounted a response and the home side were forced to defend strongly.
A third Sidmouth try arrived on 21 minutes with Max Peacock the scorer.
You may also want to watch:
The second period saw a much sharper Torquay side that started strongly and put up their first points in the 33rd minute, heralding an exciting passage of play.
Sidmouth, showing strong resolve, had to defend deep within their half on occasions, but showed an improvement in their rucking and mauling play from previous outings.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
Strong play from overturned balls allowed another two tries from the home side whilst the visitors replied with two of their own before the last try of the contest in the final minute from Sidmouth’s James Emmett, on sealed a much deserved win.