Exeter Aces all set for a big birthday bash
The Exeter Aces host two of the biggest events in the club’s history this month with international cycle speedway stars making the trip to Devon to compete in a mouth watering line up full of top names.
The ‘Westernapolis’, which takes place this Saturday (July 6) at 1pm will mark the 50 year anniversary of continued racing in Exeter.
Former world champion Steve Harris is joined by the current champion, Lukas Nowacki.
Exeter have pulled out all the stops to attract a top line up with riders racing for money on the day, something of which is rare in this amateur sport.
Gavin Wheeler is a name that also brings a smile to all spectators’ faces, being a well known former British champion. Home star Thomas Reed will be looking to make the day even more memorable for the club with a great chance of taking that top position.
You may also want to watch:
There are plenty more big names in the sport who you can see free of charge. The club would also like to invite previous club members from many years a go to come down for one final ride against old team mates and friends. Current team manager Craig Nethercott said: “Having started the sport back in 1996 I’m aware there were plenty of riders competing for the Aces way before my time and it would be fantastic to witness them have one more pop at the cherry here at Cofton Road. The previous circuit was situated at Hamlin Lane for many years and the club would love to offer the opportunity for these guys to have a go on our current track, of which has undergone a complete make over within the past couple of years.”
The Aces’ junior riders will also be putting on a show just before the Westernapolis grand final.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club