Fantastic turnout in honour of the fabulous service to great clubman Ken Mortimore
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town Veterans 2, Whippets’ Warriors 0. A sun-kissed Sunday afternoon was the backdrop to a very special football match that saw Sidmouth Town Veterans take on a collection of former Sidmouth youth players in a game to honour the amazing time and expertise afforded to the club by Ken Mortimore.
The event which was months in conception was kept a secret from the very man it was created for and many of his former youth players travelled from all corners of the globe to say a huge thank you for the years of tutelage so selflessly provided!
Arriving to a guard of honour, a clearly humbled Mortimore took his familiar seat in the dugout amidst a carnival atmosphere.
In what most experts would have billed as a one-sided contest, the jet lagged Warriors surprised a very complacent Vets team with a first half performance that saw them create half a dozen exceptional openings without taking any of them!
The Vets, clearly stunned by the run-a-round they had I the first half, looked much more determined after the break and claimed a two-goal lead, the second of which would have graced any football pitch in the world, and that killed off the Warriors resistance!
You may also want to watch:
Even the introduction of the ‘Old Master’ himself, Ken Mortimore, could not turn the tide, as the vets professionally ran down the clock in the face of all the ‘huff and puff’ the Warriors had to offer.
A fantastic day and a fittingly entertaining match leaving just one thing to say, Thank you Ken, you sir are a legend.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford