Finch goal seals thrilling win

Football generic picture

Football generic picture - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth Warriors Under-8s bagged a win double in meetings with West Exe teams.

First up, against West Exe Blues a reshuffled Warriors took their time to settle and, as a result, chances were few and far between early on. At the other end of the pitch in the Warriors’ defensive third, Lucas O’Connor, playing as defender, looked calm with the ball and very confident in what was a completely new position for him.

Jamie White, returning to an outfield berth from his more regular goalkeeping duties, looked sharp in his attacking role.

The deadlock was broken when Will Lawrence played in Alistair Mounoury. The latter still had work to do, but he did it well before rifling home his 20th goal of the season.

The Exeter side hit back and Oscar Finch was forced to produce a stunning save to keep his side in the lead at half-time.

You may also want to watch:

The second half saw few chances at either end until a mix-up in the West Exe defence was seized upon by Lucas Vickery who took charge of the ball before playing a tidy pass in for Lucas O’Connor to tap home and seal a 2-0 success.

Ethan Isaac played well down the left side in the second half, but Lucas O’Connor was selected as Warriors’ Man of the Match.

Most Read

Warriors then took on West Exe Youth and emerged victorious by the odd goal in seven.

The team had another reshuffle with Jamie White back in goal and he was called into early action, making a superb save.

At the other end of the pitch Ethan Isaac was denied by an upright after an eye-catching run. The deadlock was broken by a fine Alistair Mounoury goal to give Warriors a 1-0 interval lead.

Warriors got off to a bad second-half, conceding a sloppy goal, but soon regained the lead when Lucas O’Connor, who was introduced to the game at half time, cut inside from the left before drilling the ball home.

However, there followed a crazy spell of two minutes during which time the opposition scored twice and this left Warriors trailing 3-2 with just three minutes remaining!

Warriors re-organised and a fine run by Lucas Vickery saw him weave past two players before he fired the ball home.

With the clock ticking down Oscar Finch picked the ball up deep in his own half before setting off on a mesmeric run that ended with him passing the ball beyond the goalkeeper and into the net to seal a thrilling victory.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus