Finch stars as Sidmouth Warriors Under-11s go down at Topsham
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-11s went down 4-1 on their visit to Topsham for the first game of a new Exeter and District League season.
Warriors, playing their first ever game in terms of the new rules for this age group, contending with playing on a bigger pitch with larger goals, a longer period of play and playing the off-side law, also found themselves up against a very strong and skilful opposition.
However, Warriors gave a good account of themselves, particularly in the first half when the defence of Dylan Robbins, Taylan Jones and will Lawrece, in front of impressive goalkeeper Oscar Finch, and half-time arrived with the game yet to see its first goal.
It was early in the second half that Topsham finally broke the deadlock and two further quick-fire goals put them into a commanding 3-0 lead.
However, Warriors were always ‘in the contest’, prompted by midfield dup Lucas O’Connor and Laurence Coles and, Lucas Vicary was unlucky after two burst of pace so nearly produced goals for his side.
You may also want to watch:
Topsham were threatening with an attack that was superbly ended by an Ollie Gibbins tackle and, when the ball found Ethan Issac, he showed great pace to get away from his marker before he crossed for Edward Roles to mark his debut with a goal.
Topsham had the final say with a fourth goal, but Warriors can hold their heads high after a terrific all-round effort in a difficult opening game of a new campaign.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
The Warriors Man of the Match award went to the splendid Oscar Finch.